Wednesday, October 30, 2019

In the service of what? the politics of service learning by Joseph Kane and Westheimer


In the Service of what ?

Image result for volunteers cartoon

Joseph Cain and Westheimer speak outwardly on the topic of Public Service in America, or rather peoples determination to avoid doing it as an opportunity. 

Ever since freshman year of high school people have been telling me but I need to do a certain amount of community work just to get a good grade. I had to do it for everything from a cheap Civics project, to a church fundraiser, to a piece of paper to get into senior year, and I even had to do a certain amount of hours to be allowed my diploma.

Now in my sophomore year of college if the time has come again where I have to attend a certain amount of hours service work in order to obtain a grade and further my efforts to get a a degree and a good career for the rest of my life.

I am required to attend a certain number of hours in kindergarten classroom in order to pass my FNED class and to be honest it never feels like volunteer work when i then get rewarded for doing it, it defeats the purpose.

I have done plenty of good things that weren't asked of my and gotten Absolutely nothing out of it, not even a free grade. I worked at soup kitchens, baby sat , worked churches, for a dance troupe, in my church's youth organization, and even became the president of my church! And I donated countless hours and even more money and supplies making sure that everyone else was taken care of 

I complete disagree with what this article stating about people and their willingness to help the community, do I understand the fact the we have communities struggling ? Yes, but do understand forcing a bunch of college students to come in a couple days a week against there free will. A group a of set volunteers helping at the school all day for the year would help but a bunch of students that now have a good reason to bail out on these young children once they get there grade, drop the class or the semester ends leaving these kindergartners with nothing.

The article speaks of "promoting an ethic of community service" however it talks about volunteering like it has never been done before Former President Kennedy signed off on the program.

Forcing people to "volunteer" for something is not volunteering it simply working for a grade instead of a wage. It defeats the purpose in its entirety. Volunteers are good , service learning workers paid with a B+ average are not.

As best said all the way back in the year 5BC by the roman statesmen Lucius Annaeus Seneca,
"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness."






here is the link to the article :In service of what?

2 comments:

  1. In service of what quote:
    "In contrast, much of the current discussion regarding service learning
    emphasizes charity, not change. The claim regarding the relation of service
    learning to the development of altruism is relatively simple to articulate and, in
    many respects, compelling. By engaging in meaningful service—whether
    tutoring children for whom English is a second language, helping patients in a
    hospital, doing difficult chores for the elderly, or supervising younger
    children's recreational activities—students will have opportunities to
    experience what David Hornbeck, former Maryland state superintendent,
    referred to as "the joy of reaching out to others."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,
    I think its great how much you have given back without expecting anything in return. Great post.

    ReplyDelete